Pages

"We must and will have women leaders among us. Native women are going to raise the roof and decry the dirty house which patriarchy and racism have built on our backs. But first we must see ourselves as women: powerful, sensuous beings in need of compassion and tenderness." -Lee Maracle

Sunday, January 15, 2012

2011 in photographs

2011 was definitely a great year. I achieved as much as dreamed I could, worked harder than ever, and grew in all dimensions of my personal, academic, and professional life. I took risks and embraced vulnerability. I was strong and healthy. As 2012 begins the highlights of 2011 remain with me in memories and photographs. To my friends and family, and the communities and followers who have supported and challenged me, thank you.


My daughter and me, Keweenaw Bay Indian Community Midwinter Powwow, Baraga, MI


My daughter and me, Northern Michigan University Powwow, Marquette, MI
Northeastern State University, Tahlequah, OK
Bois Forte Band Traditional Powwow, My rez and homeland, Vermillion, MN
Oneida Nation Powwow, Oneida, WI
KBIC Traditional Gathering, Baraga, MI
Michigan Technological University Spirit of the Harvest Powwow, I was honored to serve as Head AISES Female Dancer, Houghton, MI
My first conference presentation, Oklahoma Workshop for Native American Languages (OWNAL), My presentation was on barriers to technological access and literacy at the KBIC, and the implications for language learning, Tahlequah, OK
I interned and volunteered at a local alternative high school, where I worked as a health educator and mentor. Here I am with my mentee and her son at graduation, Hancock, MI
I'm a sucker for turtles, so anytime I see one on the road I take it off the road and move it to a safer location.
For the first time in many years, I rode a horse. This girl is a big half-draft horse named Oreo.
I got married this summer in L'Anse, MI, in a small ceremony on the rez where my husband grew up. We were married in the Cora Anderson building, which is named after the first women elected to the Michigan Senate. Cora Anderson was Ojibwe. We spent the afternoon taking pictures on the shore of Keweenaw Bay and spent the evening having fun with friends and family.
Instead of buying each other wedding gifts, we adopted a dog named Sunflower at our local humane society.
I introduced my daughter to the love of riding at our local county fair. Here she is with Dusty the pony.
I attended the birth of Baby A.
I attended the birth of Baby L.
My husband graduated with his second bachelors degree, in Scientific and Technical Communication.
Here is one of several publications I had this year. My research and creative writing was accepted by a number of journals, including this one here, International Doula, the journal produced by DONA International.
As you can see, we were very busy in 2011. I am grateful for everything that we have been given and pursued. 2012 is already off to a great start. My husband had a paper accepted to a conference and we will be traveling to Chicago in the Spring. I have three or more clients lined up whose births I will be attending. I continue my internship at the high school until I graduate with my degree this summer. I've also had a major paper accepted into a book, making this my most significant publication to date. As I apply for graduate school I'm excited for the future.

As the new year begins, please feel free to share your perspectives with me. What are you most proud of? What did you learn in 2011? What are you most excited for in 2012?

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Raeanne! You surely worked hard this last year and accomplished so much! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos! You had a great year Raeanne! :)

    I am proud that I danced in the powwow for the first time. I am thrilled that 2011 was an excellent year for me in terms of being published in anthologies, journals, booklets, zines and online publications! For 2012 I am most excited to move forward in terms of better employment, more publishing, writing, powwow's, traveling, trips, growth, my own evolution, healing and maybe moving again?! Open to possiblities and horizons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miigwetch Nikki and Cecelia! I did have a great year! I hope to have another great year full of opportunity, growth, and continued healing. I wish you both, my Anishinaabe ogichidaa sisters an amazing 2012!

    ReplyDelete